1366 - Transient Elastography at 50Hz for the diagnosis of Liver Fibrosis in patients with confirmed Hepatitis B or confirmed Hepatitis C

Page last updated: 25 October 2016

Application Detail



Description of Medical Service

Transient elastography at 50Hz is used to measure the liver stiffness and by inference fibrosis of the liver in patients with confirmed Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. Transient elastography at 50Hz uses non-invasive ultrasound to make measurements of patient’s livers which can be interpreted by a medical specialist and used to guide the patient’s treatment depending on the disease progression or regression.

Description of Medical Condition

Patients with confirmed Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C can go on to develop liver fibrosis and if unchecked then to develop liver cirrhosis.

Of the people that contract Hepatitis the majority are asymptomatic (estimated to be about 80%). The remaining approximate 20% however will develop some level of liver fibrosis; of them approximately 25% will have rapid progression towards liver cirrhosis. The remaining 75% will have slow progression towards liver cirrhosis.

Reason for Application

New MBS item

Medical Service Type


Previous Application Number

Not Applicable

Associated Documentation

Application Form


PICO Confirmation

Final Protocol (PDF 360 KB)
Final Protocol (Word 156 KB)

Assessment Report


Public Summary Document

Public Summary Document (PDF 338 KB)
Public Summary Document (Word 249 KB)

Meetings for this Application


16 April 2015
11 - 12 December 2014


11 February 2016


31 March 2016